Re: [Gimp-developer] [Demo] Porting MyPaint brush engines to the GIMP.

Am 30.04.2012 17:53, schrieb sigetch:
2012/5/1 Kevin Cozens<kevin ve3syb ca>:
On 12-04-30 06:29 AM, sigetch wrote:
2. It has 9 inputs, 42 setting parameters, and 30 internal states to
determine the timing, position, size, color, and blend mode. while the
dynamics has 7 inputs, 11 setting parameters, and no internal states.

On the surface it sounds like its more flexible than what GIMP currently has
but it also seems as if it could be a bit overwhelming to a user with 9
inputs and 42 settings.

What is an input vs. a setting? Do all brushes have 42 settings or is that
the total across all brushes? What is the maximum number of settings a user
would see for a selected brush?

The testers are going to hate you. With so many inputs, settings, and states
it will be a bit of a nightmare to make sure every combination has been
tested and is working properly.

All you have to do is to download the MyPaint, try it, and see how the
parameters are
handled. Basically they are hidden from users because "Brushes" has
many presets,
and users can tweak only few key parameters in simple parameter
setting popup dialog.
And users can still tweak all parameters from another complex
parameter editor dialog.

While in current snapshot of the GIMP, Parameters are scattered over
dynamics presets and tool options presets. To make it worse, changing the value
of the dynamics directly affect other tool presets which shares
dynamics presets.
You should take carefully the dynamics and tool options, and you
should know how those
parameters related with each other. It is too complicated than the
handling in MyPaint.
--
sigetch

I have to agree. The current dynamics in Gimp, compared to MyPaint, are really ugly. I switched to MyPaint for drawings half a year ago and sometimes i try to use Gimp more or less the same way (for painting). But usually I'm scared away in not longer then ten minutes and happy to use MyPaint instead, even for small tasks.

The things that where most annoying in Gimp are:

1. There are no real presets for brushes. Every time you want to use another type of brush you have to reconfigure it again for the task. This is a time killer.

2. Even if I take the time to configure a "brush" I only have very limited options and flexibility. Not much result for the effort.

3. Gimp is really slow at drawing. I don't know what it does in the background, but the brushes feel slow, especially with a tablet. Got even slower with soon to be 2.8 compared to 2.6.

Overall I might add that Gimp inherited the worst possible combination for someone that wants to use Gimp for painting. As a painter I'm used to switch from one "tool/brush" to the other to get the desired effect - the same effect, immediately. Additionally I want to fine tune my presets, store them and reuse them. Nothing of that is possible, going way against the natural work flow of an artist.

For me Gimp is a rusty Swiss Knife for images, but not a drawing program any more (the standards improved). Hard words. I know. But this is how I see it. Gimp should really concentrate to improve usability by making things easy/quick to use. For example: In MyPaint i can switch to my previously used brush/tool with one click or press on the tablet. In Gimp my first action is to scroll to the brush list. Selecting it by mouse click, adjusting the parameters, restoring the dynamics, ... and after 2 Minutes I have roughly what I need and forgotten what I wanted to do with it.

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte