Re: [Gimp-developer] the indexed mode implementation

Dithering is not really where the problem lies, it's in finding a good
colormap.  Gimp's algorithm was developed a long time ago, by Adam
Moss, who put a great deal of effort into it.  The code can be found
in app/core/gimpimage-convert.c in the Gimp source.  The theory behind
it is explained in a long comment way down in the source file, which I
extract and append here:

/*
 * These routines are concerned with the time-critical task of mapping input
 * colors to the nearest color in the selected colormap.
 *
 * We re-use the histogram space as an "inverse color map", essentially a
 * cache for the results of nearest-color searches.  All colors within a
 * histogram cell will be mapped to the same colormap entry, namely the one
 * closest to the cell's center.  This may not be quite the closest entry to
 * the actual input color, but it's almost as good.  A zero in the cache
 * indicates we haven't found the nearest color for that cell yet; the array
 * is cleared to zeroes before starting the mapping pass.  When we find the
 * nearest color for a cell, its colormap index plus one is recorded in the
 * cache for future use.  The pass2 scanning routines call fill_inverse_cmap
 * when they need to use an unfilled entry in the cache.
 *
 * Our method of efficiently finding nearest colors is based on the "locally
 * sorted search" idea described by Heckbert and on the incremental distance
 * calculation described by Spencer W. Thomas in chapter III.1 of Graphics
 * Gems II (James Arvo, ed.  Academic Press, 1991).  Thomas points out that
 * the distances from a given colormap entry to each cell of the histogram can
 * be computed quickly using an incremental method: the differences between
 * distances to adjacent cells themselves differ by a constant.  This allows a
 * fairly fast implementation of the "brute force" approach of computing the
 * distance from every colormap entry to every histogram cell.  Unfortunately,
 * it needs a work array to hold the best-distance-so-far for each histogram
 * cell (because the inner loop has to be over cells, not colormap entries).
 * The work array elements have to be ints, so the work array would need
 * 256Kb at our recommended precision.  This is not feasible in DOS machines.
 *
 * To get around these problems, we apply Thomas' method to compute the
 * nearest colors for only the cells within a small subbox of the histogram.
 * The work array need be only as big as the subbox, so the memory usage
 * problem is solved.  Furthermore, we need not fill subboxes that are never
 * referenced in pass2; many images use only part of the color gamut, so a
 * fair amount of work is saved.  An additional advantage of this
 * approach is that we can apply Heckbert's locality criterion to quickly
 * eliminate colormap entries that are far away from the subbox; typically
 * three-fourths of the colormap entries are rejected by Heckbert's criterion,
 * and we need not compute their distances to individual cells in the subbox.
 * The speed of this approach is heavily influenced by the subbox size: too
 * small means too much overhead, too big loses because Heckbert's criterion
 * can't eliminate as many colormap entries.  Empirically the best subbox
 * size seems to be about 1/512th of the histogram (1/8th in each direction).
 *
 * Thomas' article also describes a refined method which is asymptotically
 * faster than the brute-force method, but it is also far more complex and
 * cannot efficiently be applied to small subboxes.  It is therefore not
 * useful for programs intended to be portable to DOS machines.  On machines
 * with plenty of memory, filling the whole histogram in one shot with Thomas'
 * refined method might be faster than the present code --- but then again,
 * it might not be any faster, and it's certainly more complicated.
 */

There probably is nobody in the universe except Adam who fully
understands that, and Adam has not been an active developer for many
years.

  -- Bill