[Gimp-developer] Text layer information in parasite

I would like to use the text information from a text layer (font, spacing...) in a python plugin. I can obtain it from the parasite but only if the file has been saved since the creation of the text layer (I'm using 2.6.8). Is there another way to get at the information, or is the parasite created right away in more recent versions, or can I trigger its creation without saving the image?