From: yahvuu <yahvuu gmail com>
To: Tom Hall <tahall256 gmail com>
Cc: gimp-developer-list gnome org
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Saturation layer blend mode

[re-posting to new mailing list]

Hi Tom and all,

Am 23.09.2011 02:36, schrieb Tom Hall:
> I would regard the saturation layer blend mode's result as unexpected

the good news first off: the upcoming GEGL implementation of the
"color space" layer modes uses LAB color space which gives much
more useful results, if at the price of consuming more processor power.
You can test-drive the new behaviour using "View -> Use GEGL" on a
development version of GIMP.

The current implementation, in contrast, is based on the HSV color model
which has some rather unpleasant characteristics.

For example, take a saturation blend of two gray orthogonal gradients,
created with the default "use dithering" setting:
http://yahvuu.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/hsv-blend_screenshot1.png
The resulting image[1] is rendered with a stripe of highly saturated
pixels, even though all source pixel are gray.

Accordingly, decomposition into HSV or HSL exhibits similar artifacts:
http://yahvuu.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/decomposed.png
Decomposing a gray gradient[3] using Colors->Components->Decompose
gives unexpected non-black pixels in the saturation result.

So what's behind all this?
It's not a bug in GIMP; it's a flaw of HSV/HSL, which does not properly
reflect human perception of color. For example, consider the following
example of a RGB <-> HSV correspondance (assuming 8-bit RGB with range
0-255):

RGB            HSV
---            ---
R = 0          Hue:        120°
G = 1          Saturation: 100%
B = 0          Value:      0,39%

On screen, this color is perceived as almost black, mostly uncolored.
Despite that fact, the HSV result claims full saturation.

In summary: don't use cheap HSV when you can afford a fast CPU :->

best regards,
yahvuu

[1]
http://sites.google.com/site/yahvuu/stuff/hsv-blend.xcf?attredirects=0&d=1