[Gimp-developer] Python-fu: difference between PF_FILE and PF_FILENAME, and how to ask for a file name to *create*

I'm writing a python plugin that saves things to a file, and I'm trying to come up with the right parameter type to obtain a filename form the user.

There are PF_FILE and PF_FILENAME parameter types. Both correspond to a string with the file name in it. Furthermore the file must exist for both, so they cannot be used for the name of a file to be created? Why are there two types if they do the same thing? Am I missing something?