Re: [Gimp-developer] New color mode

Martin Nordholts <enselic <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 07/01/2009 08:21 PM, Emil Assarsson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Martin Nordholts<enselic <at> gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Maybe the RGB ->  HSL conversion is buggy?
> >>

> > I don't see it as a bug... it's more of a problem. Gimp uses HSL(?)
> > and PhotoShop /seems/ to use CIELAB for these operations.
> >
> > Any comments on this?
> >

> If using a CIE Lab based color space for defining and implementing the
> color layer modes gives better looking and more intuitive results, than
> that is the color space we shall use.
>
> A patch that uses CIE Lab (or CIE LCH?) for this when using GEGL would
> be much appreciated.
>
>   / Martin

For sure one should use CIELAB. There is a good write up about that color model
here: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/color7.html (you will find CIELAB a little
over half way down the page. CIELAB, while quite good in itself is also the
preferred system for transformation between color spaces - for example going
from RGB to CMYK one is best to go RGB > CIELAB > CMYK, thus, not only would you
have a top rate color system, you would be set up for top rate transformation
functions as well