Re: [Gegl-developer] [Gimp-developer] babl roadmap

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
On 10/16/2014 03:37 PM, Øyvind Kolås wrote:

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:

Is there in fact general agreement among the devs that the criteria for
deciding when to use sRGB primaries instead of UserRGB primaries is
approximately as follows?

the first thing we should do is to
annotate all the operations which are broken when done with sRGB
primaries

In other words, you will make a list of all operations that "don't work" in
unbounded sRGB, and then you will convert from unbounded sRGB to UserRGB for
those operations, and then back to unbounded sRGB. Good luck with that.

Using a fixed linear RGB format instead of userRGB is what for some
operations will provide the consistent results for the same property
values / slider positions.

As a maxim for guiding GIMP development, "consistent results for the same
property values / slider positions" reflects a profound failure to
understand the nature of RGB image editing and can only lead to bad code.

No I am explaining how we will start out making these changes for
engineering reasons. How to follow a process that doesn't destabilize
and destroy what we already have. While your back-seat driving, asking
about detailed choices of side-roads 4 weeks from now on our road-trip
is not very productive when we're not even sure we'll be in the
country of those roads you want us to take – or if we will have
swapped the hummer for a jeep.