Re: [Gegl-developer] [Gimp-developer] babl roadmap

On 10/15/2014 01:46 PM, Simon Budig wrote:
Elle Stone (ellestone ninedegreesbelow com) wrote:
On 10/15/2014 08:30 AM, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Elle Stone
When the user opens a color-managed fooRGB image, for which *specific*
editing operations will the image be converted to unbounded sRGB?

As you very well know we don't *have* the specific list of editing
operations you ask for. I don't know why you keep repeating the
question. You seem to think that not getting an answer to that question
proves a point, but I definitely have no idea what the point is.

You make a very fair point. A better way to ask my question would have been "By what criteria will the devs decide whether an RGB operation should use sRGB primaries instead of UserRGB primaries?"

The babl roadmap says gamma slider and multiply compositing will be done using UserRGB. The roadmap's implied criteria for which RGB operations use sRGB primaries seems to be "If it works in unbounded sRGB, use sRGB primaries; otherwise use UserRGB primaries".

If I understand them correctly, Michael Henning and Jon Norby are saying that the criteria is something along the lines of: "For RGB editing operations, use UserRGB primaries *unless* there's a really, really good reason why only sRGB primaries will work."

Is there in fact general agreement among the devs that the criteria for deciding when to use sRGB primaries instead of UserRGB primaries is approximately as follows?

"For RGB editing operations, use UserRGB primaries except in the rare cases for which only sRGB primaries will work."

Kind regards,
Elle Stone