Re: [Gegl-developer] New serialization format

Am 05.07.12 16:57, schrieb Michael Natterer:
On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 17:55 +0300, Ville Sokk wrote:
GEGL needs a new serialization format. On IRC two popular choices
were JSON and YAML. Fancy features are not required so both should be
good choices.

YAML pros:
* very readable

JSON pros:
* pretty much every programming language has a JSON library
* simpler than YAML

Bat´O's YAML example: http://pastebin.com/QML9BkCb
and JSON: http://pastebin.com/9ZV9y7Vz

Any ideas why one should be chosen over the other? Maybe there's an
even better option?
And XML was ruled out because it's not the latest fad any longer?

Hi,

I was also wondering why not XML. IIRC image processing in GEGL is internally represented by a tree (correct me if I'm wrong). Are YAML and JSON able to handle this, better than a native tree format like XML?

Best regards,

grafxuser