Re: [gedit-list] A come back

Hello Sébastien

My name is Jordi Mas. In the last months I have been doing a dozen fixes to the gedit-plugins module. Plugins were broken because the migration from Python 2 to Python 3 was not tested extensivily (I'm also the author of the Translate plugin). I had also added recently static analysis in the CI on the plugins repository to prevent future regressions . Additionally I have been approving low handing fruit pull requests and doing some fixes in gedit also.

For  me personally, the first question to answer is which are gedit potential users.  For example, if we say that is intended as an simple IDE clearly gnome-builder is doing a fantastic job in the last months and also we are missing key functionalities like been able to work with projects (even if we have now the sessions plugin back).  Once this is clear, for me we should align on a roadmap that is a mix between that the user needs and what we want to work on. For example, looking at different sources (including Issues, Ubuntu bug reports, etc) it's clear that the users have some clear requests from users:
  • Gedit cannot deal with large files. The user  experience is really broken. We know that this due to Gtk but this is one of the top user problems.
  • Many users are not happy how we handle encodings. Does not fit all user cases. In particular, since we removed the option to select encoding to open files from the open file dialog box.
  • Many users are not happy with the fact that when you open a new file if you do not give it at name is not save it automatically and you can lose data.
  • etc
If there is an IRC meeting I'm happy to participate then we can further align on these topics.

Best regards,

Jordi