Re: [gedit-list] porting git plugin to python 2

On 2015-06-25, 06:45 GMT, Paolo Borelli wrote:
     I have not looked at the patch in detail, but I think we could branch
proceed like this:
1) split the patch in two, things that also apply to the regular version of
the plugin and a second patch that is the py2 compatibility, so that we can
apply the first patch
2a) if the py2 patch can work with both py2 and py3 at runtime, we can
branch a gnome-3-14 branch and apply it there and release a 3.14 version
(on master I would like to keep the code clean with just the py3 code)
2b) if instead the py2 patch breaks py3 we can create a specific python-2
branch and apply it there or you can keep it as a patch in the RH package

Look at the branch
https://gitlab.com/mcepl/gedit-plugins/commits/3-14-python-2.
There are three commits on the top of tag 3.14.1:

    * commit 563b912
    |     Just switching to python 3 (nothing upstream should be
    |     concerned with)

    * commit 3476c74

    |     Make plugins (except of git) using python2.

    * commit a909bf2

    |     Changes to make git plugin python 2 compatible.
    |
    |     Which shouldn't be breaking anything, so they could be
    |     acceptable for upstream.

The first two are just my RHEL-related changes, but the third
one (https://gitlab.com/mcepl/gedit-plugins/commit/a909bf2)
could be IMHO applied to the upstream tree.

What do you think?

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl ceplovi cz

Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items to be
recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.
      -- from a church bulletin