Re: [gedit-list] Thoughts on being paid to work on the gedit stack

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 05:48:05PM +0200, Paolo Borelli wrote:
This is getting OT for gedit-list, so maybe we can further discuss this
elsewhere...

I'll maybe write a blog post, but I want to know one thing, are some
developers paid to work on gnome development tools? glade maybe? devhelp
I don't think so, Anjuta neither. gnome-terminal I don't know.
MonoDevelop yes, by Xamarin, but it's more for C#/.NET development with
Mono. And some paid developers work on kdbus/application sandboxing,
etc.

This question does not make much sense to be honest. The budget for
outreach programs is made available because organizations (and no, it is
not only RH, there is also linux foundation, mozilla and many others) think
it is a worthwhile goal, that money would *not* be available to the
foundation for other uses. Thinking that RH (or someone else) would
reallocate the same budget for funding development of some specific project
is simply naive. If they want some projects done they would allocate
engineering resources to it, but I can assure that it would be a completely
orthogonal issue and the funding of one thing does not influence or exclude
the other.

What I wanted to say is that the thing in common between the two things
is outreach. The companies supporting financially OPW can also spend
this money differently to achieve outreach too. And since those
companies have scarce resources, it makes sense for me to spend this
money more efficiently.

Beside also making a distinction between "google pays" and "someone else
pays" is wrong: we are fortunate enough to have a budget for outreach. Our
responsibility is to make sure that it is spent in the best way by
selecting strong candidates and projects.

Yes, I agree.

For sure I prefer 20 actively involved contributors (men and women) to
thousands of uncontributing users. But once again, the question does not
make sense because the two things are not in alternative. As a matter of
fact I am very convinced that one thing helps the other.

From the thousands new developers, I hope that a small percentage will
contribute upstream. And it is our job to tell new developers to do so.

Non-programming tasks are part of GSOC as
much as they are part of OPW

No, a GSoC project must primarily be a programming project, and this
includes code and user documentation.

and in the past we had some absolutely amazing
non programming tasks that achieved incredible results (the work done on
fonts come to mind).

Yes, I don't say that non-programming tasks are bad, quite the contrary.

--
Sébastien