Re: [gedit-list] Gedit for console

On 2014-06-30, 10:21 GMT, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
gedit uses heavily GTK+, which is a graphical widget toolkit,
a GTK+ application can not run in the console. To run gedit in
a console, an ncurses interface must be implemented for
example, but in this case 90% of the current code can not be
reused…

I think so. I would say that if you want a good console text
editor, much better line of attack is to “tame” on of the
existing ones. E.g., vim has cream
(http://cream.sourceforge.net/ ... I am not sure how it works in
console), Emacs can be tamed a bit with CUA mode
(http://www.emacswiki.org/CuaMode) and even mentioned nano can
be tamed a little (e.g., I found on first page on DuckDuckGo
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nano#Text_wrapping). Also,
some nano people suggest dex (https://github.com/tihirvon/dex,
packaged in Fedora, but I don't see it in Debian yet).

However, more important point I would raise is that in the end
your text editor is your main working tool, so some investment
in learning to use it properly is IMHO well justifiable.
I personally use vim (and I am trying to resurrect Scribes from
dead, but who knows how will I succeed), but Emacs could be used
as well, and I believe it is much better to have some more tools
to learn, than to hit constantly the end of your tools
capabilities. I don’t believe you will ever hit the end of vim
(or Emacs) ;).

Best,

Matěj