Re: [gedit-list] Gedit for console

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014, J. M. Rees wrote:

OS is Xubuntu.

Just out of interest... I am not a programmer.

I love gedit as a prose text editor for a writer in the gui. However, I also use the console
a lot and was wondering how much altering of code would be involved to make gedit a
console editor as well. It's the wordwrap (softwrap), auto indent and similar features
which are so useful. Nano, and other console editors don't do softwrap.

I'm not a nano fan, have no idea whether it does what you want, but a
search for "console mode text editor softwrap" brought this page up:

http://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v2.2/nano.html#Feature-Toggles

The "--softwrap" option is the very last one. Is that too new an
option for you to use, or does it fail to do what you need?

No. There isn't a console editor other than vim or emacs that does true softwrap that I can find so far. Nano like quite a number will wrap a long line but doesn't take out the 'whitespace' or save as a long line soft wrapped. Give nano a try... like I did you'll find there is "softwrap" and 'softwrap'. That's the same with mg, Joe, Elvis, Jed, Nedit, and all the clones. The only one that may do is the Hessling... I haven't worked out how to use it's commands so far. Yet even the most basic of gui editors e.g. leafpad or Mousepad do it. I suppose all editors are developed principally for coders and thus developers haven't considered it.

Hence why for gedit to provide such I'd have thought was worthwhile. If it can be done for emacs I can't think that much development work is involved. Gedit could then be available to two forms and one could install both or either.

But I'm pretty sure that there are other console-mode + input-mode
editors that do softwrap and are not as heavy as emacs. I remember DOS
console mode editors with K&R C source, that did softwrap, and the
source code fit easily on a standard 5" floppy. (In other words, less
than 350MB of source.)

Well - I'm still hunting! But vim with 'set linebreak' or 'visual line mode' with emacs is all I have found to date. Having now done a .emacs which covers all my needs I'll probably stay with it... emacs also having the wonderful 'mid cursor positioning'. Vim is of course an excellent editor but I find the two mode use and commands very hard to get used to. Vim and emacs have a learning curve and capability way beyond what many require along with a huge manual to browse through for days.

I have thoughts on this, but will defer to the developers.

I hope they will give it some thought - I was just thinking of a nice niche gap for gedit. Gedit does all I need and using emacs is like having to drive a Bentley with loads of fancy gadgets... when a straight saloon would be great!

james