[gedit-list] gedit gtksourceview regex flavour?

Hi,
    I'm playing around in gedit's (gtksourceview's ?) language files to extend the syntax rules for C and add some custom rules. From looking at C.lang it uses regular expressions to define some rules. I'm having trouble getting some particular regex work though. E.g I want to match a dot followed by a word, but not the dot itself. Something like /(?<=\.)\w+/ would normally work, but it doesn't seem to here. Additionally I can't seem to escape the literal ampersand character in a regex. Does anyone know which regex flavour is being used here so I can try to troubleshoot? Thanks!