Re: [gedit-list] Bottom panel and Tools menu missing in GEdit 3.8.3

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Doug McNutt <douglist macnauchtan com> wrote:
At 19:18 +0100 11/3/13, Luís de Sousa wrote:
On 3 November 2013 19:03, Adam Dingle <<mailto:adam medovina org>adam medovina org> wrote: Luís, probably you have not enabled any plugins which use the bottom panel. In this situation, View->Bottom Panel will be grayed out and there will be no Tools menu. Go to Edit->Preferences->Plugins and enable External Tools (for example). Then the bottom panel should be available and the Tools menu will appear.
I have a similar problem with gedit in 13.10. But it's not the bottom panel, it's the top one which is the ubuntu menu bar. It disappears along with access to my tools. A solution is to restart gedit after using its own buttons or the keyboard to save partially edited stuff. I always use a command line to execute gedit so that my environment variables are in the underlying process. "Go to Edit->Preferences->Plugins " would be impossible!

That's odd - I use gedit in Ubuntu 13.10 and don't see this at all.  Are you using a completely vanilla Ubuntu installation?  Have you built any libraries from source or installed anything from a PPA?

adam