Re: [gedit-list] Question about inter-line spacing

Hi Sergei,

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:57 PM, sergei karhof <karhof21 gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Sergei,
>
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM, sergei karhof <karhof21 gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to know if it is possible to increase the inter-line
>> spacing in gedit.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> sergei
>

> gedit is more of a text editor than a word processor, so the gedit team
> haven't implemented this feature. Is there a special reason that you require
> this feature in gedit?
>
> Jim

Hello Jim. Sorry about the late reply.

As I already pointed out to another member of this mailing list, the
adjustable inter-line space feature is essential for Arabic (and for
languages with Arabic-based alphabets like Persian, Urdu, etc).

Without an increased inter-line space, the diacritical marks above
and below Arabic letters get mixed up with those from the other lines. That
is because the default distance between the lines, which is fine for
English text, happens to be too cramped for Arabic text.

So, the distance between the lines *really needs* to be made
adjustable, to allow for more vertical space to each line.

I have found a plugin for gedit 2, called linespacing (by Osmo
Salomaa), which is also listed on the gedit website (although the link
is broken), but I was not able to make it work!! (with gedit 2.30
running under Windows 7). Also, I could not reach the original author.
This plugin purports to do exactly what I need, and would solve the
problem, if only it worked.

Could someone please try to modify this plugin, to make it work under the
latest gedit 3?

I would be very grateful to anyone who fixed the plugin, because
otherwise I cannot use Arabic text at all.

Here attached is a file containing the original linespacing plugin,
which is difficult to find on the internet because of broken links.

Thanks

--sergei

Thanks for the clarification. I can definitely see the issue, and understand your need for the plugin.

I would recommend filing an enhancement request bug report [0], and attaching the plugin file to the report. I cannot guarantee that this feature will get implemented, but that is the best way to ensure that the developers will see your request.

Regards,

Jim

[0] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gedit