[gedit-list] Critical_huh DBUS error

This is the command line sequence. It's the first time I have attempted to pipe into gedit since ubuntu 11.04. We're now on ubuntu 12:04 with a current gedit as delivered by ubuntu.  hd is an alternate name for hexdump with a standard output format.

Issued command:
Deimos ~/projects/Print3D> hd -n 500 part.gcode | gedit

Reply in Terminal window, probably on STDERR:
(gedit:1980): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_capabilities: assertion `G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

In the gedit window which is already open with other files:

gedit opens two files-to-be  "Untitled Document n" and "Untitled Document n+1" The second is populated with the hexdump output I asked for. The first is blank. The real goal was to inspect line ends in the file which I may have to alter into 0D0A pairs.  It would be nice if gedit could handle that for me.

Does gedit support DBUS at all?  Where can I find a list of supported goodies? I really would like an option to set the mouse pointer that way from an external tool I might write.

--
-->  The best programming tool is a soldering iron <--