Re: [gedit-list] Trouble with help system

Hi there,

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM, pmennen <paul mennen org> wrote:

Sorry if this is a linux only Gedit forum. (I looked for a windows forum, but
didn't find it).

Anyway I just installed the latest stable gedit windows binary (2.30.1) onto
my windows 7 home (64bit) system. So far, everything seems to work great
except for the help system. When I press F1 (or go to the help menu) I get
the message "There was an error displaying the help. No application is
registered as handling this file". However it didn't tell me what help file
it was trying to open, so I don't know how I could find an application to
read it. I looked in the gedit install folder to see if I could find
something that looked like a help file, but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance if you have any advice to offer.
~Paul

Yes, I think the help-viewer is Linux-only at this point. While the viewer is largely written in C, it uses some shell scripts which would not work on Windows or a Mac.

You can view the gedit 3.0 application help online here, though:

http://library.gnome.org/users/gedit/stable/

The formatting could use some improvements, but those are the same help files that are included in the regular help-viewer.  The are accurate for gedit 3.0, so if you're using an earlier version of gedit, some things may be slightly different.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Jim