Re: [gedit-list] Frustrations with opening text files from elsewhere

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Doug McNutt <douglist macnauchtan com> wrote:

Also, being a Mac developer until  neXt's X-code turned me off, I just don't like having the menu items disappear and come back only when I drag the mouse first over the name - Text Editor -.  Nothing else uses the screen space. Why can't I view the menus?  I use Tools_External tools all the time and I was disturbed when my personal tools became a sub menu. Now it's yet another step to mouse around for them.

And that strange vertical scroll  needs to be optional or it needs to work the same way other applications do. Was there something wrong with a good old scroll bar the way Terminal does it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like those are Ubuntu-specific features/issues, and they aren't related to Gedit itself.

I don't know of any workarounds to have the menus always visible in Ubuntu, nor how to turn off their new vertical scrollbars.

As for the encoding issues, I will leave that to Nacho and the other Gedit devs. Sorry to hear you are having trouble, though.

Jim