[gedit-list] Keyboard macros plugin

I just realized that the few features I've been missing in gedit could be
solved by using keyboard macros, so I downloaded the keyboard macro plugin
... but it doesn't work. It seems that it is dependent on the operating
system. (I'm using Windows ... ok I know ... that is my first mistake :) But
non-the-less that is what I am stuck with). I must be missing something.
Aren't plugins written in python? So why would something like a keyboard
macro care about the operating system?

As a beginning python programmer, would it be conceivable for me to write my
own plugins or is this something better left to the sophisticated python
programmers?. (Most of my experience is in C, Matlab, and Lisp with minimal
python experience).

~Paul