Re: [gedit-list] Syntax highlighting for file with wrong filetype

On 01/26/2011 10:34 PM, Jean-Philippe Fleury wrote:
Ed Greenberg a écrit le 2011-01-26 12:59 :
I have a circumstance under which I have to edit python source in files
of type .txt.   Not all the .txt files on my system are python files.

Can anybody think of a way to bring up syntax highlighting?   Is there a
comment I can put at the top of the file, for example?
I suppose you know that you can manually select highlight mode in the
menu "View > Highlight Mode" when your file is open.

But if you want that your Python files written in .txt files have
automatically Python highlight mode, I don't know how to do this with a
comment at the top of the file,
You can use a modeline, something like this:

# filetype=python

at the top of your file (or bottom) should work (given that your gedit is recent enough and you have modeline plugin enabled).
 but if you have control on the files
name, you could name them .py.txt and add a Python MIME type for .py.txt.

In resume, if your files must end by .txt, you could actually end them
by .py.txt and add a MIME type to recognize .py.txt files as Python files.

To do that, put the attached file in the following folder (create it if
it doesn't exist):

/home/YOU/.local/share/mime/packages/

and update MIME type database with the following command:

$ update-mime-database /home/YOU/.local/share/mime

Regards,

Jean-Philippe
_______________________________________________ gedit-list mailing list gedit-list gnome org http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gedit-list