Re: [gedit-list] [Feature-Request] Don't ask if unsaved docs are empty

On 01/09/2011 10:12 AM, Goldstein wrote:
Hi gedit dev guys!

First of all, thank you for developing gedit. It starts so fast and has such a great search-and-replace tool that I use it all the time. Nice job!

But I'm writing to make a little suggestion. The way I often use gedit is the following:

I have some text on the clipboard that I've just copied from some source code. I open gedit and I paste it on it. What I do is simply a search-and-replace for some variables or pieces of code. After that, I cut the text and I paste it elsewhere. This leaves the gedit document empty. However, when I decide to close gedit, even if the document is 100% empty, gedit asks me if I want to save the document.

So my request is: would it be possible that you guys modified gedit so it does not ask if you want to save a document that is empty? Gedit already does this when you create new documents but you don't edit them. But it seems that once you type something, gedit consideres the document as edited, even if the document ends up empty. Does this make sense?
We do this because you might potentially still loose data when closing the document (because the data is still available in the undo buffer). Also, we can't really distinguish the case you describe from one where you accidentally clear the document and close it. Even though this might not be a very regular case, we prefer to be as protective as possible.

===Please, CC me on the reply as I'm not subscribed to the list===

Thanks for your help.

G.