Re: [gedit-list] Massive Search Missing In Gedit

On 22 August 2011 06:45, ANKUR AGGARWAL <coolankur2006 gmail com> wrote:
I would like to introduce a feature in the existing gedit. Suppose I
want to search a function named "abc" within the large amount of
files in the folder , I need to open a terminal and use the grep
command for that and then it will show me all the files containing
that function.

Hey Ankur,

As a fellow gedit user, I can see what you're saying. However, personally I believe that one of gedit's greatest strengths is its simplicity.

In addition, I think it would be hard to implement such a feature in a way that it would beat, say, "ack", which is a simple but powerful grep replacement found here:
http://betterthangrep.com/

You could if you really demanded it implemented this as a gedit plugin, for which there is a HowTo here:
http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/PythonPluginHowTo

But consider that installation of ack is a matter of copying the script to your home directory, or maybe going so far as putting it into your $PATH. I ask you, how do you install a plugin? You would probably have to look that up. (I would, and I have used gedit for quite a few years now).

Regards,

- Peter