Re: [gedit-list] Question about MAC/Fedora and Parallels

At 14:40 -0400 8/19/11, Graff, Ken wrote:
>Good day,
>
>I am utilizing gedit in fedora under Parallels on a MacBook Pro. When I save a file using gedit, it doesn't open properly on the mac, in fact it corrupts the file. For example, I could simply type Test in gedit under Fedora, save it and then when I go to the MAC it opens blank.  Then when I open it again in Fedora it has the following screen.  Any thoughts??? I would really appreciate any insights on this. Thank you so much, Ken

I have noticed the same splash screen when pasting results from a LiveHTTPheaders window in Firefox under ubuntu. It's the same when attempting to open the headers file when saved by Firefox.

It's a line ends difficulty.  Apparently gedit doesn't like CRLF pairs in text files or pasted data.

All LFs are surely OK on my Linux Ubuntu box. I can read the files on a Mac by logging into Ubuntu
A quick sed or perl script that just changes all CR characters to LF seems to work and, surprisingly, it doesn't seem to generate double linefeeds in the gedit display.

My ubuntu box is not, yet, current. It's an AMD 64 bit box that I had trouble with and for the last year I just haven't got around to updating it. So.. I donno if gedit still behaves the way I describe.

<ftp://ftp.macnauchtan.com/Software/LineEnds/>  For some drivel I prepared for Mac OX 10.3.9 which examines and changes line ends.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--