Re: [gedit-list] My thanks and hoped for improvements to Gedit

Dne 22.4.2011 18:45, Rex Welsh napsal(a):
I stumbled upon the fact that 'Dos Batch' makes my quotes a different
colour. This is great for finding missing quotes. Could this be an
option under plain text? I don't need the list of reserved words
highlighted as well.

Syntax highlighting uses gtkSourceView which syntax styles can be quite easily customized ... see http://developer.gnome.org/gtksourceview/stable/rn02.html for more info (no programming required).

I'm obliged to make a great many odd names. My stories cover many novels
so the list gets quite extensive. Spelling in my native English is
difficult enough. I was hoping to find a way of typing a shortcut that
brings up a list of names starting with the letter 'A.' The mouse or a
keystroke could insert the name in the document. Another shortcut may
bring up a list with names, places or things that start with 'B'.

Isn't the Word Completion plugin (provided in gedit-plugins package) what you are up to? (you have to enable it in Edit/Preferences/Plugins)?

I use Gedit to read most of my documents even if I have to convert them
to text. Being an old fart means I have less cognitive powers. I find a
problem on occasion with leaving the right side of one line and starting
the line below. Nautilus has a background that alternates one on one.
This would be great in Gedit even if it were one on three.

Gedit has highlighting of the current line … wouldn't it help? Otherwise, it could be written as a plugin, but then some programming skills are required.

Thank you again for making my life richer. Now if I could only find a
easy programming language to learn, something that may use an advanced
abacus.

I would strongly suggest Python … it was designed as a programming language for non-programmers (although it is now used quite heavily for many huge projects ... like half of the Google websites are written with it), and it is quite easy to read and to learn. And coincidentally gedit plugins can be written with it.

Best,

Matěj