[gedit-list] /View/Highlight Mode/Sources

Greetings All,
I am curious to find out how difficult (or conversely how easy) it is to set up a new source highlighting mode.  I am using SAS (statistical analysis software) which uses just a slightly different set of highlights and colors from the ones listed in Gedit's '/View/Highlight Mode/Sources'.  Is it possible to simply put together a text (or the equivalent) file of keywords and colors that Gedit could use or is it as I expect a little more complicated than that?? That being said I am not a programmer per say just a stats person who likes working with Gedit.
Cheers,

Matt Curcio
E: matt curcio ri gmail com