Re: [gedit-list] external tools menu options missing

At 13:49 -0500 3/11/10, Ernesto Posse wrote:
>A few days ago I tried adding my own custom commands using the "Manage
>External Tools" dialog. They seemed to worked fine for that session,
>but when I restarted gedit, not only the new commands where missing,
>but also most of the default commands, so the External Tools menu only
>shows "Remove trailing spaces" and "Run command", even though the
>"Manage External Tools" dialog shows also "Build command" and "Open
>terminal here", as well as my own commands.
>
>I tried removing all plugins, removing my local configuration files
>(./gnome2/gedit, ./gnome2/accel/gedit, ./gconf/apps/gedit-2) and even
>reinstalling gedit, gedit-common and gedit-plugins, but the other
>default commands are still missing. Running gedit from a console does
>not show any messages.
>
>Why are these menu options missing? It looks like gedit is reading
>some configuration file that was not restored during the reinstall, is
>there any place where gedit or the External Tools plugin saves these?
>How can I recover the menu options and add new ones that persist?

I have had trouble with gedit refusing to store files in the dot areas of my home directory. I now believe it's associated with an attempt I made long ago to set up SELinux. Access control lists (ACL) now are everywhere even though I have removed SELinux and updated to ubuntu 9 since then.

$HOME/.gnome2/gedit/tools/

Have a look there and watch, with a ls -l command, for ACLs on any of the directories and files. Watch for a dot - a period - after the usual user/group,world permissions. The getfacl and setfacl tools are available but poorly documented in ACL jargon.

gedit seems to prepare an internal table when it reads from /tools/ so you have to restart gedit if you change stuff there but it's perfectly possible to prepare or edit tools by storing them there after editing them as a gedit documents. I make mine hard links into $HOME/bin/ so they can't get lost.

--

--> In Christianity, man can have only one wife. This is known as monotony. <--