Re: [gedit-list] practicle features

spir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few ideas that would make gedit (even) nicer IMO:
>
> -1- replacement
> * When  the replace dialog opens, the focus is on the search field. A tab should jump to the replace field, since it's obviously the next relevant field to edit ;-)
> * I found no way to replace inside the currently selected region only. Very annoying. A checkbox for this.
> * Ditto for replacing in the current "scope" (section, block). Eg the current {...} section in C, BEGIN...END in pascal, or indented block python. Very useful, since names typically live inside a scope, and refer to different things outside it; so that the right replacement area is indeed the scope. (Thus, I would even have this option checked by default. In absence of this feature, I constantly use replacement in selection instead, in editors that can do that; but one needs to select first; and this prevents the nice feature of selection be the searched string.)

We will hopefully rewrite the find/replace in the upcoming development
cycle. In the mean time you could try the 'find' module in the
gedit-commander plugin (it's in gedit-plugins, but it's fairly recent
addition. You should be able to copy the right python files from the
repository though). This provides regex search/replace and also
search/replace in selected text.

The scope thing is very cool, but will not be very easy to implement
mainly because gedit does not do any syntactic analysis, only highlighting.
> -2- duplication
> Duplicate is a very handy feature. Typically, it duplicate the current line or selection. Can be used for lines, parts of lines, whole regions. Replaces select + copy + move + paste in one go.

For this you could have a look at the plugins page
(http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins). There might be a plugin there
that can do this. We slowly integrate more of these features in
gtksourceview (like removing/moving a line or paragraph), and this could
be an addition to that. Please file a bug report for this on bugzilla.
> -3- key bindings
> Is it possible to customize them? Useful to have the same bindings on all editors. (Eg replacement ctrl+H --> ctrl+R).

You can enable 'editable menu shortcuts' from the GNOME preferences.
Then you simply mouse over a menu item and hit the new shortcut.
Shortcuts that are not in the menu (like some of the
gtksourceview/gtktextview shortcuts) you can override using a gtkrc file
(you can search to find more information on how to do that).