[gedit-list] DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown

With gedit 2.26.1 running on Ubuntu 9.04 I occasionally run across an error like:

  Could not open the file sftp://...
  Unexpected error: DBus error
  org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.827 was not
  provided by any .service files

when trying to open files on network file systems. I assume because something broke in the communication between gedit and gio.

Restarting gedit gets rid of the error, but then operations with network files are painfully slow (gedit locks up for 5 to 10 second periods, several times per operation). Meanwhile an ssh connection to the same server operates fine, as does sftp interaction via Nautilus. Rebooting the machine does clear the problem.

I see that some improvements were made around gio in 2.29.5, but until I upgrade, is there something I can kill/restart to work around the problem?

 -Tom