Re: [gedit-list] Re fresh on file modified

He's not actually editing the file, correct? Why not use tail -f?

-----Original Message-----
From: gedit-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:gedit-list-bounces gnome org]
On Behalf Of jshailes
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 1:58 PM
To: gedit-list gnome org
Subject: [gedit-list] Re fresh on file modified

I had some good news today that my boss is very pleased with his first
in Linux with only the one gripe: gedit doesn't refresh an open file
it has been modified externally.

I've done a bit of investigation work and it seems that it does refresh:

If I create a file in gedit, save it, open a console and `echo
'something' >
myGeditFile` all works sweetly.

The case where it doesn't is when:

nohup java -jar longRunningApp.jar > longRunningAppOutput
gedit longRunningAppOutput

The output file grows quite large over the period of a few hours but the
only way of viewing the updates is to close the file in gedit and open
again. Has anyone had similar experiences? I'm running 2.30.3.

Sent from the Gnome - Gedit mailing list archive at

gedit-list mailing list
gedit-list gnome org