Re: [gedit-list] Weird Syntax Errors

Jesse van den Kieboom-2 wrote:

> I think I remember this bug, although I'm not sure. I think it has to do
> with the tags used for bracket matching and when you paste the tag is
> applied to the pasted text too (or something similar). This bug has
> already been fixed though if I remember correctly. I see you're using an
> older version of gedit, could you try to upgrade (if this is an option
> for you) and see if it still happpens?

I can consistently get something similar to this to happen in 2.22.3.  Maybe
you can try this in 2.30:

Start a new file and type opening and closing braces:
[]

Then press Shift+Home to select the line and press Control-C, Control-V,
Control-V to duplicate it:
[][]

With the cursor at the end of the line, the last three braces all show as
highlighted.  Now cursor left once and type between the last two braces.
Everything typed there will be highlighted.

It seems like a mark will get copied whenever bracketed text is selected
from the end to the beginning, but not when it's selected from the beginning
to the end.  If two of the residually-marked characters are put
side-by-side, whatever is put between them will get the highlighting.