Re: [gedit-list] VCS integration with File-Browser

Robert Toscano wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Not sure if any of you remember me. I built an overlay on the File
> Browser with my git vcs integration plug-in--called *giterdone*. In
> the process I fixed a couple of bugs in the File Browser's bus
> interface last year. I believe it was recommended by the gedit team
> that my plug-in support any VCS (not just git) in order for it to be
> included with gedit.
It looks very cool (from the screenshot), however I could not run it. It
seems you do some stuff to scan for py files and import them
automatically to find VCS providers or something. The problem is that
you can just add stuff to the sys.path like that because it will break a
lot of other plugins that import things. You'll just need to use the
'from' part of the import function.

> I finally made some time and separated the VCS and git specifics from
> each other, and implemented support for svn as proof. Its homepage is
> here: http://gombi.net/giterdone
>
> I was wondering if some people from the gedit team could take a look,
> and recommend any improvements. I'm not certain of the criteria for
> including a plug-in with gedit (as a standard plug-in like the File
> Browser), but I think at least developers would find this plug-in very
> useful.
I'm not sure if we should distribute it with gedit, or with
gedit-plugins, but we can think about that. I haven't looked at the code
yet, but there will probably be some need for some cleanup, strings, and
maybe some other ideas I personally have that would be cool to integrate
in the plugin. Maybe we can discuss things a bit on IRC?