[gedit-list] Suggestions

I've read some suggestions in gedit mail list and i'd like to reinforce
them.

Actually, its nothing very fancy:

1) File encoding:
UTF8 is great and advisable, but sometimes I need to save files in other
encoding. It would be great if I could change file encoding from a list
in statusbar (just like I can change syntax highlighting) or during
save. But showing current file encoding in statusbar is very useful.

Can a plugin implement such feature or some core-code change is needed?

A FOSS editor that have good encoding support is ActiveState's Komodo Edit.

2) New-line characters:
It would be great, if i could set the type of the new line characters,
whether they are CRLF or CR or LF. Again this could go in status bar,
just like language syntax highlighting and tab-width setting. I believe
new-line character detection is simple algorithm.

Again, can a plugin implement such feature or some core-code change is
needed?