Re: [gedit-list] How about a stand alone version of gedit

Paolo,

I have a similar problem. Specifically, I'd like to install a newer
version of gedit in the home directory of a server that I use but
don't have root install privileges for.

I've done this for many pieces of software (python, numpy, rl-wrap,
etc.) which usually just involves adding the --prefix=$HOME flag to
./configure

However, with gedit it is not so simple. I believe that the
complication comes in when I must install dependencies in $HOME and
then have the dependent software *find* them here (instead of looking
in the default system folders). I discovered that I must use
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/lib/pkgconfig/

and perhaps:
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

However, I am still getting compiler errors trying to compile gtk+ and
it seems that this is because it is trying to use the old version of
glib on the system instead of the new one that I installed in $HOME.

Can you help me understand how I can make gtk+ find the new glib? Or
can you point me to a manual that explains how to do this sort of
non-standard installation (or installation of multiple versions of a
software)? Is it possible?

Thank you very much,

Shawn Ligocki
sligocki gmail com