Re: [gedit-list] gedit-list Digest, Vol 45, Issue 14

hello -- hey what happened to Gedit's preferences (2.22.3)? In earlier
versions, customizing color preferences (for highlighting etc) was
perfect and easy.  Now all you can get is the four built in themes. What
gives? Isn't this a step backward offering less options?
Hi. Funnily, I asked about the same question on the list a few days
before your message and I got a bit different answer, the main
parts of which follow:

The colour model for GtkSourceView2 is different, and that is what you
are seeing with the upgrade to gedit 2.20+ The modern approach presents
all languages and document formats consistently. See the Highlighting
section in <http://live.gnome.org/GtkSourceView> for tutorials.
There are many styles available beyond the default styles that ship with
gedit
<http://live.gnome.org/GtkSourceView/StyleSchemes>. You can install them
in .local/share/gtksourceview-2.0/styles/ (restart gedit to enable them)

I managed to make a simple text color change using the color
model system with approximately the steps that follow:

1. Take a copy of an existing style document. In my Edubuntu
they are located in /usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/styles/ .
(E.g. classic.xml.)

2. Modify the file. To avoid overriding the original style file,
edit the values for id and _name on line

The classic.xml document didn't contain an example entry for
setting the general/global text color, but some other of the
default styles did, so I copied and adapted an appropriate line
and added it to my own style document. For example:

3. With changes ready for testing, go to the color model page in
the settings dialog of gedit and click on the "Add" button. When
you thus install your own style, it gets copied into a different place
( ~/.gnome2/gedit/styles/ in my system).

I hope those steps are helpful for you and/or others seeking easy ways
to adjust color settings.

Best Regards,
Vesa