[gedit-list] highlightinng

Hi,
I was a lucky user of some old version of gedit. Because i use many "in-between" scripts while normally writing sell-scripts, i was very happy, that the highlighting of a string stopped at a newline. So I had highlighting in these sub-scripts, too.
Unfortunately I renewed my whole system. So now all the highlighting dissappears in the string-color. does anybody know, what to do? I have the same problem in all the other programming-editors like geany, emacs, jedit, too.....
Thanks for your help,
Stephan

--
Dr. med. Stephan Ripke