Re: [gedit-list] text file highlighted as VHDL

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 11:59 +1000, Mikel Ward wrote:
> I made a text file using ----- on a blank line as a header.
>
> gedit decided it was a VHDL file and started coloring words like "or".
>
> Can this be made a little more robust?

I have seen this too when working with SQL files. The problem is in
gnome-mime-data; gedit is doing what it is told. VHDL's rules are two
general considering how rare this file type is.

Out of frustration I created an Overrides.xml (attached). Update your
personal ~/.local/share/mime/packages/Overrides.xml using some or all of
the definitions from my data. Then from a terminal use this command:

    update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime/

> The file's extension is .txt, and Nautilus shows its type as plain
> text document.

Nautilus does not appear to be telling the whole truth here.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.