Re: [gedit-list] "Document Words Completion" plugin

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 19:43 +0200, Perriman wrote:
> Hi Chombee,
>
> 	I have developed document words completion. I put the
> sourceforge link because you need install gtksourcecompletion library
> and then gedit-documentwords-plugin. In sourceforge page you can find
> the library and the plugin.

So I can! Thanks, it's working here. Did you develop GTKSourceCompletion
itself as well as the gedit plugin? And GTKSnippets too? I think you're
doing good work. It would be great to see these features everywhere, not
just embedded in one application.

The GEdit plugin only seems to activate word completion, not source code
completion? Is there a way to get source code completion in gedit yet?

Looking at your snippets screencast, I think you are going the wrong way
with the user interface, using a popup window. Snippets should function
in-place, in the editor, like the older snippets plugin for gedit. But
even better than that, checkout the way snippets are implemented in Scribes
from this screencast, gedit could learn a thing or two:

http://scribes.sourceforge.net/demo.htm

Personally I think it could go one step further by letting the user add
a new snippet by just typing it out in a file, highlighting it, and
selecting 'add snippet.'

Other things I think gedit and its plugins could learn from Scribes:

* Automatic word replacement. e.g. when the user type teh it automatically
  changes to the.
* Scribes' bracket auto-completion is smarter, doesn't get in the way.
* Scribes' auto-saving feature is great, the user only ever has to press
  Save once, when saving a new file for the first time.