[gedit-list] Puzzling plugin/config difference between gedi t2.22.1 and 2.20?

My gedit has been upgraded to 2.22.1 as a by-product of upgrading my
machine from gutsy to hardy.

For my previous version of gedit (I *think* 2.20), plugins went in
~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins. But gedit isn't finding things in that
location any more.

Has something regarding plugins changed in the last couple of gedit
versions, or could this be a problem with the way the ubuntu package
has been built? I'm imagining the latter, as other things aren't
working properly either (no spell checker, and all my earlier gedit
configurations were lost, with gedit starting up as if for a new
user).

Thanks,

CB.