Re: [gedit-list] Default "save to" location

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 10:15 -0700, sisterscape wrote:
> No one can answer this?
>
> --- sisterscape <sisterscape yahoo com> wrote:
>
> > The gedit default "save to" location is Home but I prefer to save new
> > documents to the Desktop. It never remembers that is the option I
> > have
> > chosen every single time (like most other programs will do). I have
> > looked everywhere I could think of but am unable to find where to
> > change the default "save to" location.  Please tell me this can be
> > done
> > and where to do it.

I assume that you are writing about "Save As" in Engligh menus. Gedit
does not support a default "Save As" location--not in its preferences,
or in its gconf keys. I think a plugin would be required to change
Gedit's behaviour.

There is another solution, one that I have been considering. GNOME's
default desktop and file manager is Nautilus. It has a hidden gconf key
that sets the desktop to your home directory. When the key is set, there
is no distinction between you desktop and your home directory. Every
file and folder in you home dir is displayed on your desktop. If you
want to try this:

    Run gconf-editor.
    Locate /apps/nautilus/preferences in the sidebar.
    Select the desktop_is_home_dir key.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.