Re: [gedit-list] Home key doesn't go to the first non-whitespace character

Hi,

> Hello,
>
> I've been using jEdit for a while but I've increasingly been
> frustrated by its slowness, so I thought it was time I found another
> text editor. I use gedit every day but mainly for little stuff like
> editing and looking simple text files, but never any hardcore
> programming. Why? Because of one thing: the Home key doesn't go to the
> first non-whitespace character like it does in almost every other
> programming editor out there. Surely I'm not the first to raise this
> issue, but I'm just puzzled as to why the gedit developers would
> neglect to implement a tiny but very important feature. Anyone have
> any ideas as to how I can get this functionality?

We implemented this feature but users complained so we decided to modify
it a bit.

In gedit < 2.20.0, to go to the first non-whitespace character you have
to press HOME twice.

In 2.20 you can obtain the behavior you asked for by setting
the /apps/gedit-2/preferences/editor/smart_home_end/smart_home_end gconf
key to "BEFORE" (default is "AFTER").

Ciao,
Paolo