Re: [gedit-list] Change encoding like in Kate

2007.11.08. 14:28:07 dátumon Paolo Maggi <paolo maggi gmail com> írta:

Hi,
This is a request we get quite frequently so it may be it is a feature
we should at least investigate.
I'm not familiar with Kate, could you please describe in a more detailed
way how this function is working.

Suppose I open a file with "ISO-8859-15" encoding, changing the encoding
with Tools->Encoding what will do?

The document encoding changing immediately.

If I open an utf-8 encoded file which contains word
"erőmű"
and change the encoding to cp1252 the result will be:
"erőmű"
immediate.

I want this, because in Hungary some old server's default encoding was cp1252, and sometimes php scripts utf-8 hacking need this function too. Only the Kate editor can change the encoding in this way in the Linux world, and in the Win32 world the notepad++ give same function.

Will it only change the encoding that will be used to save the file next
time it is saved?

No, it's change the looks of file immediately, according to the selected encoding. Imagine that you open an international utf-8 encoded textfile without BOM as iso-8859-15. When you change the encoding to utf-8, it's look readable, we don't need save and reopen for this.

Does Kate enforce the insertion of characters that are valid only in the
selected encoding?

No, only noticeing about "Possible Data Loss":
"The selected encoding cannot encode every unicode character in this document. Do you really want to save it? There cpuld be some data lost."

It's happen if I write "erőmű" to a cp1252 encoded file, because it's doesn't have ő and ű characters, only õ and û.

But if I change a cp1250 encoded file which contains "erőmű" word, it will be "erõmû" after I change the encoding to cp1252 (from 1250), because these codepages contains the two national characters at the same position.

I think that it's not so complicated as might appear at first sight.
Thank you for quick response!

Best wishes!

kikke