Re: [gedit-list] Change encoding like in Kate

Hi,
This is a request we get quite frequently so it may be it is a feature
we should at least investigate.

I'm not familiar with Kate, could you please describe in a more detailed
way how this function is working.

Suppose I open a file with "ISO-8859-15" encoding, changing the encoding
with Tools->Encoding what will do?

Will it only change the encoding that will be used to save the file next
time it is saved?

Does Kate enforce the insertion of characters that are valid only in the
selected encoding?