[gedit-list] Spelling Plug-in

Hey everyone,

I have a few issues or questions about the spelling plug-in for Gedit. I'm not sure which dictionary the plug-in is using, but it seems to be different than what's installed on my system. I'm using Ubuntu 7.04, with Gedit 2.18.1.

The common inconsistency has to do with contractions. Taking the following list as a test case, Gedit marks 22 of the 59 words as incorrect. It also mistakenly recognizes the word "Iv'e" as correct, which is what set me on this problem.

My system installs aspell and I'm using the aspell-en dictionary by default. When I run the same list of words against it, aspell only reports the following words as incorrect:

daren't
there'll
that'll
what'll
when's

...and recognizes the "Iv'e" typo as a misspelling.

The myspell dictionary that Mozilla (I'm using Thunderbird 2.0 to write this message) and OpenOffice.org uses only reports the following 3 words as incorrect:

daren't
what'll
when's

So is Gedit using it's own dictionary in the spell checking plug-in? If so, is it possible to have it use the default system dictionary, like aspell, or perhaps allow the user to select an alternative dictionary like myspell?

I tried searching against the list archives, but it seems to be busted currently, and wasn't able to pony up any results, so I apologize if this is a redundant question.

Here's the list of contractions:

I'm
I've
I'll