Re: [gedit-list] Request: ask for adminpass when saving readonly files

Hello,

 > When a user opens a file for which he does not have sufficient
 privileges, the file opens as read-only.

 Would it be possible to make gedit open a dialogue where the user can
 type the login and password, when he begins to edit that readonly
 file or when he uses the Save command to save the file.

Asking a password to escalate privileges in a secure way is a problem
that still need to be solved at gnome level.
We can think to implement such a feature when the problem will be solved
in a "official" way in the gnome libs.

That seems reasonable. This way, all application which could need an escalation of privileges could use it.

Now I assume that this is also the reason why applications that might need administrative privileges ask for the admin password right away when they start, instead of only asking for the password at the moment when it is really needed.

Thanks for the explanation.

Francesco