Re: [gedit-list] gedit rocks, [=how to improve the editor even more]

Hoi,

Paolo Borelli wrote:
Yes the new engine is definately better, however also the old one uses
regexes, part of the problem with poor highlighting of certain languages
is that we do not know them, so patches to improve .lang files are more
than welcome.
I think gtksourceview 2 does not understand the old files. So is updating a good idea or wait for the new engine?

gsv2 also supports color themes. Current line highlighting is taken from
the gtk theme so it can be somehow customized, but I agree we should
probably turn that into a real style property.
Yeah. That would be cool.

A central plugin database is a cool idea, but something we do not have
enough time to spend on: help is more than welcome. Our current "central
plugin db" is the wiki page... while not advanced as custom db, this has
the really important feature of keeping the entry barrier low for anyone
who wants to add a plugin since we do not have time to track all third
party plugins manually. It worked fairly well until now.

Help with the webpage is always welcome, though bear in mind that we
want to stay consistent with the rest of the gnome web look&feel.
An updated news section or a forum are also something that go well
beyond our current available time since they need constant updating and
moderation.
I would really like to help on a new webpage + plugin repository.

Also sourcecode highlighting definition files should be loadable from the ~/.gnome2/gedit/* folder or something like that to allow vim like .vim folders you can copy to your usb stick and move around.

This is already possible: the dir is
~/.gnome2/gtksourceview-1.0/language-specs
Yeah. I know. But every thing is in a different directory. So i cannot sync them easily. (gedit in different folder than sourceview etc).

Yes, indentation is something that has been on the table for a while,
but it's far from trivial: feel free to give it a try :)
Well. Not for the moment. But someone in that thread already told that he would like to help :)

Regards,
Armin