[gedit-list] autocheck spelling

Is there anyway to have autocheck spelling on by default? I checked in
gconf, but I couldn't find anything that controls it. It makes perfect
sense to me for gedit to keep the setting (on or off), just like
numerous other gedit preferences. Granted, some users may jump from
using to not using it depending on what they are working on, but I
would guess most either have it on or off all the time. For example, I
only use gedit to write latex documents, so it seems inefficient and
annoying for me to have to select the feature every time I start up.

Chris