[gedit-list] sound in gedit

Hello,

I'm new to both this list and hacking gedit. I've been playing around with building various plugins for the last couple of days and found it very easy and enjoyable.

Right now, I am trying to add recording and play-back functionality in gedit to create notes of meetings with hyper links to the associated point in a recorded audio file. What is the best way to add record/playback functionality? I have tried the snack toolkit, but it is not playing files for me. I suspect tcl/tk is not initializing properly from within the plugin framework. Is there any way around this? If not, is there an equivalent gtk library that I have been unable to find?

Thanks for you assistance,

David