Re: [gedit-list] after 1 month of use -- gedit feedback / issues

Hi Paolo,

A few comments on some of those features:

* Configurable chars to be part of word

Both of these require hacking at the gtk level, if anyone wants to
tackle them (especially the second) it would be awesome, but they are
far from trivial. Maybe the configurable word boundaries could be done
in gedit without touching gtk, but it would probably require overriding
and reimplementing all of GtkTextView selection handling.
gnome-terminal uses the VTE widget which is completely different from
GtkTextView, so even if the code could be looked at to get ideas from
it, it's not a simple matter of cut&pasting.

But maybe, as a workaround for now, a "Select This Word" command could be implemented by a plugin?

This command would select the word (with underscores, etc.) where the caret is at.

How hard/easy would this be?  (This could be something I could try coding in the near future..)

This  reminds me - Vertical selection as seen in gnome-terminal.

Do people end up using this much?  I find that with the ColumnMode plugin I insert and delete columns very easily.

* Smart Home:
This one is there already! press Home and you'll go to the beginning of
the line, press Home twice and you'll get to the beginning of the text
after the indentation. It's very comfortable once you know it.

I know, but I really like to save keystrokes  ;) -- Pls read more below..

In gedit 2.19/20 it will be able to easily change it to go the beginning
of the text first, since it will be just a matter of setting a property
of GtkSourceView 2.

This is what I meant. One keypress to go the beginning of the text first.  Very nice to know it will be included.  :)

* Z-order Tab Switching:
I would not mind having also a way to go to the last used tab, but
choosing the right key combination is a pain (Ctrl+Tab is not an option,
it is needed for Accessibility).

Yes, this is what I find really useful -- go to the *last used* tab -- mainly, to be able to return to the previous document I'm editing, and, also, to switch very fast between two documents.

Can't be Ctrl+Tab? Ok, something else... -- Maybe: Ctrl+Alt+Tab?  Well, in the end it won't matter as long as the command shows up somewhere on the menu, because that way it is configurable by the user.

- gedit displays one less newline at end of file?
-- one less newline at end of file than other editors

Heh, funny. Before 2.18 people complained about the extra new line
displayed at the end of the file and we fixed that :)

Ok, I guess I can live with this  ;) -- but how can I go to the bottom of a file with one hotkey while staying in the 1st column?

...Because I used to press Ctrl+End, but this hotkey, without a last empty line, goes to column nn (= end of line).

I'll give more feedback on the remaining issues later, when I stumble upon them again..

Thanks Paolo!